Green is in! Everyone is talking about it, magazines are writing about it, celebrities are endorsing the lifestyle, and your cool neighbor is trying to convince you too! However, “it’s not easy being green.” Kermit said it, and I’m sure many of us can agree that in theory we want to provide a better tomorrow for the next generation, but it may seem too difficult to incorporate into our current lifestyles. Being environmentally conscious is something that you can gradually incorporate into your families’ lives over time. Even small changes can have a big impact. As parents, you want to set a good example by being a good citizen, one that is a good steward with their surroundings. As some of you already realized your habits and mannerisms (good or bad) are being picked up by your children. You are their first influence, so make sure it’s for positive things.
Here are five easy and small ways you can jump start your green journey:
- Use cloth or reusable diapers – The Real Diaper Association estimates that 27.4 billion disposable diapers are consumed every year in the U.S. and there are 18 billion disposable diapers thrown in landfills each year. By using cloth diapers and/or reusable diapers, you may actually save money too. Diapers takes a toll on the environment, so do whatever you can to make diaper disposal less taxing on the environment. Currently Diaper Dékor pails use biodegradable refills which break down faster than plastics for a greener disposal of diapers.
- Use environmentally-friendly fabrics and materials – Buy materials that have highly renewable fabrics like bamboo, or organic cotton products. As a rule of thumb, avoid materials with harmful chemicals. There will be double benefits in purchasing materials that are great for baby’s sensitive skin and that is a better alternative for preserving the environment.
- Walk instead of driving short distances – Car emissions contribute to air pollution which effects the environment as well as the health of inhabitants. For shorter distances, like picking up a couple of items from the grocer or going to your local video store, walk instead of driving. Walking can be a great activity to do with the family and there are many baby products that allow walking with family fun and efficient. When walking with toddlers or babies, use a stroller or the Lascal M1 baby carrier to make it fun for the whole family.
- Easy green projects around the house – Roll up your sleeves and get busy by making your home, green and efficient. Little things like making sure your doors and windows are sealed, using a programmable thermostat, changing the heater’s air filter or using fluorescent light bulbs can be a great help. Go even further and plant a small garden, an activity that can be enjoyed with the entire family.
- Recycle – In this day in age, recycling is so easy, you can do it in your sleep! Most city garbage facilities offer recycling services, simply get a box, and begin recycling plastics, glass and paper.
So maybe it’s not so hard to be green. Start off slow, and as you get the hang of the green lifestyle add more. Remember, the little changes you make can bring about positive effects for your children’s future.